Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Under16 Again

Now I know that my blog is really being read. I have had so many calls, facebook messages, emails etc. asking what is happening here in St. Kitts that I feel obliged to add something to the site. Work, study and other commitments have driven me into tired sleepy silence. After this post however some people will probably wish I had stayed away.

My first post was going to be about the Jean Pierre CNA U16 tournament here in St. Kitts and how St. Lucia doing the dog upsetting both Trinidad and Barbados and then what should pop up on my whiteberry but news about the Jamaican U16 team (the defending champions of this tournament no less) defeating Birmingham 43-10 somewhere in Jamaica. Now tell me what is wrong with that story? Netball is in a state in the Caribbean. Jamaica feel that they don’t need to play the rest of the Caribbean (well this goes way back) because we are not good enough, well hell yes we need lots of work, but this is our region and unless we stick together and constructively help each other then we as a region will never be good enough.

Bad enough that the international body has had a president from the region for the longest while and yet we are no better off. What does that say.? I understand that there are no challengers for the position internationally but why should there be when Massa can just sit back and pull puppet strings.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I understand your position, we need to take a reality check. Even before the economic downturn throughout the world, Caribbean countries were crying out for support for their national netball teams. I can understand Jamaica's position (which they stated early) in not sending a team to the U-16 tournament. It is just too expensive in the year of a World Championships. With having to look for over US$50,000 to send a team to Singapore to participate in the Championships, it just isn't feasible. To my point, there are rumours that Barbados may not be going to Singapore due to unavailability of funds. Yet they chose to send a team to the U16 tournament. Funds that I am sure could have been utilized to assist in sending the senior team to Singapore. I applaud and suppor the Jamaica Netball Association's decision - sometimes you have to make some hard choices.

I think the CNA should look at not having the tournament in the year of a WNC. As you said, we all have to stick together and support one another and I think that would good start to ensure that the U16 tournament is one of a high standard.